Thursday, August 25, 2011

1939

Best year for film ever? Many seem to think so. All I know is that these films are terrific, and I feel very strongly about each one. Very hard to choose between them. In many ways (like most lists) this is an arbitrary arrangement. I love 'em all.

1. The Rules of the Game (Renoir)

2. Stagecoach (Ford)
3. The Wizard of Oz (Fleming)
4. Ninotchka (Lubitsch)
5. The Roaring Twenties (Walsh)
6. Le Jour se leve (Carné)
7. Only Angels Have Wings (Hawks)
8. Young Mr. Lincoln (Ford)
9. Gone with the Wind (Fleming)
10. Destry Rides Again (Marshall)

11. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Capra)
12. Another Thin Man (van Dyke)

Still Need to See: The Women, Gunga Din, Love Affair, Dark Victory

------

Brandon, this is a little late, but have a blast on tour! I'll miss you brother, but I look forward to getting a post from you whenever you can. I'll refrain from posting any of the rest of my 2000s lists until you get back. Good luck with everything and tear shit up! Can't wait to see y'all at Jarvis in Oct.

----

Ben, I loved THE CROW as a young lad. I believe it was one of the first dvds I ever bought with my brothers (along with FIGHT CLUB and DUMB AND DUMBER). I haven't seen it in a very long time though.

----

I hope we can get as many film clubbers as possible at DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK. I'm really excited to see it. The only thing I'm really dying to see after that is Nicolas Winding Refn's DRIVE, which comes out Sept. 16. I hope it comes to regal.


No comments:

Post a Comment