Saturday, February 4, 2012

Brandon's list

Great list, my man. Let's chat (or pretend to while you are off making us proud).

I've yet to see THE BAD SLEEP WELL, but I'm an enormous Kurosawa fan, as you know. He definitely excels at humorous and adventurous material like the great John Ford. But I'm also of a fan of his more solemn or humanistic works. You know I love IKIRU, but I've also never mentioned how much I love RED BEARD. I think that is one of his kindest and most beautiful films, and I'll be curious to see how you evaluate it in '65. Looking forward to seeing this one though. Any Kurosawa film is a treat.

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN is a very worthy remake and a great stand alone film in its own right (Still nowhere near the original though, in my opinion). It's interesting that SEVEN SAMURAI and YOJIMBO were remade as westerns because they were both so heavily inspired by westerns to begin with. I think the samurai to western transition is just as ripe as say film noir to western. All three genres have serious overlaps and compliment each other very well. What a terrific idea to realize how nicely SEVEN SAMURAI would work as a western, and of course it is handled deftly by Sturges and infused with life by such a great cast. An awesome film that earns its popularity and lasting appeal.

Need to see LES BONNES FEMMES (nice that it's on NWI). As I mentioned to you, I watched my first Chabrol film recently as well: THE COUSINS from a year before in 1959. "One of the best things about these Cashier alum is their way of showing us the town they know so well." Absolutely. I would say the same for THE COUSINS, as I think one of its strong points is the sense of youth culture it captures. It gives you a strong sense of a specific time and place in France, and how it was influencing Chabrol to tell films about the people he knew or the places he was familiar with. It felt personal, like a lot of the best New Wave films. Looking forward to seeing this, as well.

THE APARTMENT is a great comedy, indeed. It's funny and sweet, and has some of the most beautiful cinematography of any comedy ever. I think it's a joy to watch like most of Wilder's films. He was a great writer, one of the best in Hollywood–efficient, intelligent, witty, and entertaining. And I think he brought these same sort of qualities to his films as a director. Regardless of how they varied in quality, his films were invariably entertaining. Personally, I've always found his films to be a blast, and don't understand his detractors either.

COMANCHE STATION was my first foray into the oft praised Scott/Boetticher partnership, and I can't say I was disappointed one bit. Gorgeous film to look at, but also just a consistent, lean, and enjoyable narrative. What more could one ask for from a western? As John would say, it delivers the goods. I agree with everything you wrote. The ending is lovely and might I even add moving. Our hero has reunited loved ones the way he wishes he could with his own; he looks on as a lonesome guardian, vigilant to save others from ever having to experience a pain he knows all to well. Great film.

Need to see THE YOUNG ONE badly and for exactly the reason you gave. You've been reading my mail.

A terrible shame what happened to Michael Powell after the brilliant PEEPING TOM. One of England's finest directors reduced to a pariah for what is actually one of his most creative and bold visions, and one of the best horror films around. It's creepy, beautiful, and opens with that ingenuous POV sequence. An operatic horror film that ranks among the great director's best and most dazzling work. Thanks for your help again, Marty. Always great to have him in your corner.

Can't disagree with anything Chris said about PSYCHO or with your placement of it. Love it unconditionally, and have been itching to watch it again.

I can, however, disagree with whatever idiot provided that write-up for THE VIRGIN SPRING. What a douche.

Can't disagree with your esteem of SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER. It's brilliant work and Truffaut's best film. I first heard about it as a teenager when I read that it was Bob Dylan's favorite film, and then saw it and loved it. It's been too long, so it's probably worth a revisit sometime. Solid choice, of course though.

I definitely recommend watching LA DOLCE VITA again. It's one of my favorite movies. I think there is a lot there to appreciate and enjoy, even if you aren't a huge Fellini fan. I think it's the tops.

I would also recommend seeing Luchiano Visconti's ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS. It's incredible and also one of my favorites. Been a while since I last saw it, but it's really great and worth seeing for sure. Get your Alain Delon fix.

Again, great list! Looking forward to the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment