Friday, July 6, 2012

You Win, John

Some will probably say it's better than I didn't see John's post before I just posted my last one. If I had, I would have instantly deleted mine out of embarrassment. His MOONRISE KINGDOM thoughts put mine to shame. No blurring the divide between children and adults here–I know my place, and it's at the kids' table.

John, what an incredibly astute reading. You nailed it. I will admit that I had thoughts about the connection between the flood at the end and the production of NOYE'S FLUDDE where Sam and Suzy meet for the first time. It's a pretty unmissable thematic link. But I also knew that there was no way I could bring up any Biblical issues within the film without being taken to task by you John for either oversimplifying The Bible or just misreading it entirely. I live in fear of discussing anything Bible related on my blog, knowing a scolding is invariably around the corner.

With that being said, I would never have been able to draw the unique connections you were able to do. Your post is brilliant. I don't know what to say in response to it other than that I'm in awe of what you wrote. You win, dude.

The only thing I will add is to this comment: "In the end, the church becomes the ark which provides salvation from the storm. This metaphor is then extended to the reconciliation of Sam and Suzy with the rest of the Body." Totally. A great thought. But with this, I again want to emphasize the very act of Willis' character reaching out and holding on to Sam and Suzy. Amidst the symbolic and physical stability the church provides during the storm, there is a very concrete human hand that ensures the two lovers are brought back within the Body. To me this gives importance to human agency within the symbolism of the church. The church provides a foundation upon which human beings must act. I don't say this to indicate that you are wrong–I'm just trying to point out where our differing belief systems make us emphasize certain ideas over others. That interests me.

"Moonrise Kingdom is where deeply disturbed children go to die for one another. The long day of bourgeois expectations is over and the rules of the game are left behind in order to chase Wisdom. An unexpected moonrise kingdom takes the place of the works of the day which have failed. The younger sun replaces the elder and shines brighter."

Wow...

Yep, we're telling fart jokes and flinging peas at each other over at the kids' table. Just so you know.

Great post John!

No comments:

Post a Comment