Monday, December 26, 2011

Brandon the skeptic

Dude, I am being extremely honest about my reaction to the film. I wanted to love it. I went into it thinking it would make my top 10. When it was over, I asked myself honestly how I felt, and the first sensation I got was that I knew I didn't love it. Then I had to think why I didn't love it. Obviously, the immediate thought I had was that I had just watched nearly the same movie as the Swedish one. You're right, I wish I had never seen that piece of shit because it completely marred my experience. I will gladly admit that I am being unfair to Fincher's film, if only because I am bored by remakes. Especially remakes of movies I hated where not enough has been changed for me.

You don't have to understand my need for a little surprise, but I'm surprised (haha) that you don't. Aren't we all looking for those little moments of humanity/life/warmth/magic that sneak up on us in movies? For instance, I wasn't at all surprised by what WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN had to offer me in terms of character and theme, which is why I didn't like it. But I was surprised by how absorbed I was in the characters and story of THE IDES OF MARCH, which is why I liked it. I was hoping I'd go into Fincher's film and he would surprise me with little things that would make me feel differently than I did when I already saw the same movie. But beyond the technical stuff, he didn't. A lot of it felt the same to me. And that feeling of sameness really didn't make me love it.

Before I joined film club, I might have loved this movie. Hell, a few months ago I might have loved this movie. But, I've really been trying to be honest with myself about my reactions to things. If I love something I'm gonna embrace the feeling. If I don't love something I won't pretend like I do. I can't pretend like I love THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO no matter how much I love the director. If you remain a skeptic, then that's fine, but I swear to you my reaction is pure honesty.

By the way, I don't know how much I trust your Fincher meter considering how highly you rank BENJAMIN BUTTON :)

No comments:

Post a Comment