Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Respondin'

For next months director, I'm toying with the idea of either Leo McCarey or Preston Struges. McCarey because it would be great to get everyone to see MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and because TCM is showing several of his films on Christmas day. Not that I expect most of us to watch these on Christmas instead of spending time with family, but I just saw it advertised the other day and it made me think he might be a good choice.

And Sturges might be a good choice because Chris is getting SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS through netflix soon and HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO and THE LADY EVE are available on instant watch. He would be someone we all could potentially see and talk about together.

We could also do screenings of either director at someone's house? Let me know who owns what of either fella. That would be fun.

Thanks, for responding to the list, Brandon. Always fun to hear your thoughts. haha I guess telling would be more economical in that it would take two seconds for an actor to say "I am a tough guy" as opposed to showing a scene where he is beating a couple of guys up. I guess I didn't really mean to throw that in with the economy argument, more to emphasis that it is just a key part of effective storytelling. And certainly one can show economically too. It's not a classic, but DRIVE understands the importance of showing economically, as evinced by those evocative staring contests between Gosling and Mulligan. I know you were just trying to fuck with me, but it was good to bring that up.

CHILDREN OF PARADISE is indeed called the French Gone With the Wind, mostly because of how beloved it is in France. I remember in high school, after watching the film and reading about its reputation in France, I asked a French exchange student at my school about it, and she had never heard of it haha. I remember being so let down because I was so excited to talk to someone about it.

I don't like the old-fashioned argument either. I've seen that as the largest criticism leveled at SPELLBOUND. Of course it's dated! It was made in 1945! I totally agree, entering the old-fashioned world of classics is huge part of their charm. Anyway, I understand that this film isn't so highly regarded, but I'm calling for a reevaluation. And if not, at least I'll still like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment