Sunday, November 20, 2011

"This punishment is not boring and pointless"

I was excited to do the director list when I first saw that Brandon had posted the suggestion. Then, I agree, it become unrewarding once I realized I didn’t have the knowledge to answer it properly. Give me a couple more years, and by then I should have better responses. It’s really hard to pick a director’s low point when you haven’t seen enough for his/her films. Also, watching a lot of directors’ bad films (or low points) isn’t really on my list of priorities yet. I’m still trying to catch up with all the good stuff! I guess I could have picked the worse one of the ones I have seen for each, but I didn’t know that’s what we were shooting for. Oh well. Sorry my list was largely unenlightening. I’m still a work in progress when it comes to film because, truth be told, I’m not a “film buff” by any stretch of the imagination. I’m still just an amateur.

Brandon,
I like PANIC ROOM quite a bit; it’s just the least effective of Fincher’s films (not named ALIEN 3).

I thought the TWIN PEAKS film was largely pointless, but it’s probably not his worst. I haven’t finished his version of DUNE, which a lot of folks think is his low point. ERASERHEAD is not pleasant to watch...but it’s damn effective.

Do you dislike BOOGIE NIGHTS or is it just not as good as the others? I’m a huge fan.

John,
I certainly don’t write off Griffith. The man practically invented the feature length film and made it an art form. I would like to watch BIRTH OF A NATION and INTOLERANCE at some point, I just don’t have the impetus to do so because I’m not making any 1910s lists yet haha. I know you are joking, but you certainly aren’t a racist for liking BIRTH OF A NATION. Or if you are, I am too for liking so many films in the 30s and 40s where black people were relegated to the thankless roles of ignorant servants and whatnot. Film history is ripe with racist portrayals. I doesn’t mean we should excuse these films, but it doesn’t mean we should disavow them all either. We should just recognize racism in film when we see it and always keep in mind that the golden age of film for us wasn’t the golden age for people who weren’t white.

I’ve seen all of the full-length Chaplin films but two (A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG and A WOMAN IN PARIS), and a number of his short films, so don’t completely thrown me in with Chris on that count haha. However, with that being said, I’m sure both of your daughters know their Chaplin better than me, for which I’m equally impressed by them and ashamed of myself.

I’d love to see JULIEN DONKEY-BOY to know what all the fuss is about. Make that happen!

Yes, I should see Miyazaki something...

I’d love to see TAKE SHELTER whenever and wherever you go. Let me know.

Also, I’m jealous that you have seen THE MILL AND THE CROSS. I first heard of it through Ebert a month or so ago. Looks great, and your esteem of it only makes we want to see it more. Thanks for inviting the rest of us! Jeesh....

Host a screening of Scorsese’s PERSONAL JOURNEY. That would be the tops.

Jason,
your thoughts on MEEK’S CUTOFF are great. Makes me want to see it again because I probably couldn’t interact well with your fresh viewing experience. But the WAITING FOR GODOT comparison is really apt. And one of the best things I’d say about the film is its ambiguity. It’s ripe for multiple readings.

THE THREE COLORS trilogy and THE DECALOGUE are works of modern genius. Just had to reiterate.

To everyone with access to PBS, don't forget the Woody Allen doc tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment