Sunday, July 24, 2011

Clarification

Sorry, I was trying too hard to provoke. I'd say that Eastwood is a great western director. His style matches his persona in those films, and he tells them with a true passion for the genre. I'm not knocking his westerns. I said that I'm a fan of them, and I wouldn't argue against you on Unforgiven. It's an incredible film, no doubt. It's his other non-western films that I can't seen to get behind. This is based off of only seeing Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Blood Work, and Mystic River. Those probably aren't the best films to base his non-western directorial credentials off of, though Mystic River was highly thought of, but I don't remember liking it. Saw it a long time ago though. So, what are some non-westerns made by him in the last 20 years that I should see and that do warrant him being a great director, period? (this isn't sarcastic, I'd really like to know what else to see. Trust me, I wanna love Clint as a director no matter the genre. Maybe I'll just see Million Dollar Baby, will that change everything?).

I saw Letters from Iwo Jima as well and can't remember specifics enough to know how I felt about it. I admired the idea of it and I believe I liked it, but I have an awful memory.

It's shit like Invictus and Hereafter that gets me down on Clint as a director. I just don't care about them. Again, I'll reiterate, Clint's a great western director. I guess I'm just a brat and want only westerns from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment