Friday, January 13, 2012

2012 should be great/Woody Allen is always great

I came home last night fully expecting to get the jump on Brandon with a super exclusive Most Anticipated 2012 list. I even started to compile a list until Chris informed me that Brandon had already posted one. Much to my chagrin, not only had he posted one but he had every single film from my list on there and several more that I had forgotten. Second bested once again.

Paul Thomas Anderson's THE MASTER is my most anticipated film of 2012, as well. My favorite and I feel the best American director (not named Scorsese or Malick) returns after five years. His first film since the greatest film of the last decade. You better believe nothing is gonna top this in terms of excitement. I'm already prepared to call it a masterpiece and bully anyone who doesn't feel the same.

DJANGO UNCHAINED would be #2 for me as well. Tarantino's first full-on Spaghetti Western? I'm there in a heartbeat. LEO!!!

Of course, I'm excited for Malick's Untitled film, but we've heard absolutely nothing about a release date, so there's a good chance we won't see it in 2012. Rats!

The same with Refn's ONLY GOD FORGIVES. Hasn't even started production as far as I know (or at least the last time I spoke with Refn).

I'm stoked for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES if only because of my unabashed love for all things blowupy. Did you just see that football field? It totally just blew up. Sweet! Plus, Tom Hardy as Bane.

THE HOBBIT looks great. Apparently it's somehow related to THE LORD OF THE RINGS, whatever that is.

Haneke's AMOUR, Wong Kar-Wai's THE GRANDMASTERS, and Kiarostami's THE END are all highly anticipated by someone like me who doesn't like movies but enjoys reading.

LINCOLN has Daniel Day-Lewis, who I believe traveled back in time to the 1860s to prepare for the role. The guy who directed JURASSIC PARK 2: THE LOST WORLD is directing it. Should be awesome!

Derek Cianfrance's RYAN GOSLING MOVIE looks good.

THE WETTEST COUNTY has Shia LaBeouf in it. He was great in the MICHAEL BAY MAKES A BILLION DOLLARS trilogy and INDIANA JONES AND THE KILLING OF A FRANCHISE. Plus, Hardy, Hillcoat, and Cave seem like safe bets.

Hey, there's a Coen Brothers movie coming out!

Stoked for Robert Pattinson's COSMOPOLIS.

Also stoked for Wes Anderson's THE LIFE AQUATIC 2.

----------------

All jokes aside, I'm really excited for all of these movies. Hope 2012 is another great year. Already looks promising.

Jason, loved the Woody Allen list. Thanks for indulging me!

LOVE AND DEATH is my favorite of his early comedies. Nothing wrong with loving WHAT'S UP, TIGER LILY? so much; it rules. ZELIG, as we mentioned, is great. I'm glad you like SCOOP so much. I thought I was the only one. SLEEPER is funny and ridiculous and brilliant. A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY is worth seeing again; a great little return to his full-on comedic roots. MATCH POINT, HANNAH, and MANHATTAN I all love. MATCH POINT for essentially being CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS 2; MANHATTAN essentially for it's emotional depth and beautiful black-and-white photography. HANNAH AND HERS SISTERS is my favorite because of the side plot with Woody dealing with his hypochondria, and discovering the meaning of life through the Marx Brothers. MELINDA AND MELINDA is one of his worst films, no doubt about it.

Great list! Hope you can see ANNIE HALL sometime. Anytime you wanna talk Woody, I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment