Saturday, January 14, 2012

Listers

Lisa, I approve of your Woody Allen List wholeheartedly. "I have heard people say it's overrated or too much of a romcom or something. Fuck off." Amen. ANNIE HALL rules.

Chris, I do not approve of your list. No, only kidding. Of course, I approve! It's a great list. I like seeing you and Jason give LOVE AND DEATH a much deserved place at the top.

I can't find my top 10 Woody Allen post among my archives for the life of me (I also did not try very hard). Anyway, here's a repost and a revision:

1. Hannah and Her Sisters
2. Annie Hall
3. Manhattan
4. Love and Death
5. Crimes and Misdemeanors
6. Broadway Danny Rose
7. The Purple Rose of Cairo
8. Sleeper
9. Bananas & Take the Money and Run
10. Stardust Memories

HM: Interiors, Zelig, A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy, Shadows and Fog, Mighty Aphrodite, Manhattan Murder Mystery, The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Match Point, Scoop.

------------

Ben, great list. Obviously, there are several on there I haven’t seen (and a few I have never heard of apart from you), but the ones on there I have seen, I love, so no complaints from me.

I wish I had seen TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY before making my list. From what you and Brandon have written about it, it sounds like I will really dig it. I’m bound to see it at some point, and when I do perhaps it will crack the top 10, as Brandon thinks.

I never did watch BLACK DEATH. That’s my fault. I didn’t really want to watch it, and then Brandon said it was overrated, and that officially killed it. Perhaps I will come back to it someday.

Haven’t seen CIRCUMSTANCE, but I can get down with an Iranian film any day. They’ve had a tremendous film culture going on for a while now.

I said I’d probably never watch ANOTHER EARTH, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see it. I do, but unless someone physically hands me a copy, I’ll probably never see it. I was at my friend’s house and we almost watched ANOTHER EARTH, but she wanted to see BEGINNERS that night instead. I was close!

David Schwimmer is directing films? Not only that, but films about rape? That’s absolutely crazy. I guess he’s really trying to shed his old image. Good for him. I’ll probably never see TRUST, again unless I’m physically handed it. Even then, I probably won’t because I’ve already reached my rape film quota for the next year or so.

“The Skin I Live In makes us question first impressions. It unravels our superficiality, our perceptions and, most of all, our desires. And it does all this while still managing to be a decent revenge film, too.” Well said.

As I’ve said before, I can’t evaluate documentaries the same as I do fiction films, which is why they are rarely if ever in my lists. I also don’t really care about documentaries (sorry), so that doesn’t help. However, your write up for BOMBAY BEACH is lovely, and it at least makes me interested.

THE TREE OF LIFE is pretty good, I guess. Loved your comments on it.

I can’t wait to see MELANCHOLIA again on my own. A film I didn’t like at first grew on me enough to make an honorable mention after only one flawed viewing. It’ll probably grow even more in esteem if I see it again. Nice pick. I’m glad you are there to carry the von Trier torch when I can’t.

Yeah, MEEK’S CUTOFF rules. I wonder if it falls so low for me because I saw it so long ago compared to the rest. I wouldn’t put it past myself. This is a great film though, and one I’m glad you are championing so highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment