Thursday, June 2, 2011

1930s: Biting off more than one can chew

The other day I was with Brandon and he mentioned he wanted to do a 1930s movie Monday with his friend Big Jim. I don't have the sort of transportation to get to this, but I still want to see a bunch of movies from the 30s because I have realized how little I have actually seen. So, I have decided to pick 10 movies from each year of the 1930s (the ones that I have seen and the ones I want to see) and rank them. I currently don't have nextflix dvd shipping but I do have NWI. There are some titles on there. For others, I plan on using TCM, Hulu Plus, Youtube, any other internet source. Eventually, I plan on getting my netflix dvd subscription back and I'll be able to use that. This will definitely take me a long time to do and it could take me awhile to get any posts up, but I thought it would be a nice project to work on. I'm also trying to watch as many films from Brandon's 40s and 50s list that I haven't seen so I can someday do rankings for those years as well (that'll take a couple years for sure). Anyway, I'm going to post the list of films I plan on working with. If anyone has any of the titles I haven't seen, let me know. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to lend them to me. There's an asterisk next to the films I have seen. I may have to substitute films out if they are completely unavailable. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for films I should see instead, let me know too.

1930

L’Age d’Or (Bunuel)*
All Quiet on the Western Front (Milestone)*
Animal Crackers (Heerman)*
Annie Christie (Brown)
The Blue Angel (von Sternberg)
Earth (Dovzhenko)
The Divorcee (Leonard)
Hell’s Angels (Hughes)
Morocco (von Sternberg)
Under the Roofs of Paris (Clair)

1931

Cimarron (Ruggles)
City Lights (Chaplin)*
Dracula (Browning)*
Frankenstein (Whale)*
Little Ceasar (LeRoy)
M. (Lang)*
Le Million (Clair)
Monkey Business (McLeod)*
A Nous La Liberte (Clair)
The Public Enemy (Wellman)

1932

Boudou Saved from Drowning (Renoir)
Freaks (Browning)*
Grand Hotel (Goulding)*
Horse Feathers (McLeod)*
I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (LeRoy)
I Was Born, But... (Ozu)
Scarface (Hawks)
Shanghai Express (von Sternberg)
Trouble in Paradise (Lubitsch)
Vampyr (Dreyer)*


1933

42nd Street (Bacon)
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (Capra)
Cavalcade (Lloyd)
Dinner at Eight (Cukor)
Duck Soup (McCarey)*
Footlight Parade (Bacon)
King Kong (Cooper, Schoedsack)*
Little Women (Cukor)
The Private Life of Henry VIII (Korda)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (Lang)

1934

L’Atalante (Vigo)*
The Black Cat (Ulmer)
The Gay Divorcee (Sandrich)
It Happened One Night (Capra)*
It’s a Gift (McLeod)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (Hitchcock)
Manhattan Melodrama (van Dyke)
The Scarlet Empress (von Sternberg)
The Thin Man (van Dyke)*
Twentieth Century (Hawks)

1935

The 39 Steps (Hitchcock)*
Alice Adams (Stevens)
Bride of Frankenstein (Whale)*
Captain Blood (Curtiz)
David Copperfield (Cukor)
The Informer (Ford)
Mutiny on the Bounty (Lloyd)
A Night at the Opera (Wood)*
Top Hat (Sandrich)
Triumph of the Will (Riefenstahl)

1936

After the Thin Man (van Dyke)*
Dodsworth (Wyler)
Fury (Lang)
The Great Ziegfeld (Leonard)
Modern Times (Chaplin)*
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Capra)*
My Man Godfrey (La Cava)
The Petrified Forest (Mayo)
Sabotage (Hitchcock)
Swing Time (Stevens)

1937

The Awful Truth (McCarey)*
A Day at the Races (Wood)*
The Good Earth (Fleming)
Grand Illusion (Renoir)*
The Life of Emile Zola (Dieterle)
Pepe Le Moko (Duvivier)
The Prisoner of Zenda (Cromwell)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Lots of People)*
Stage Door (La Cava)
A Star is Born (Wellman)

1938

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Curtiz)*
Alexander Nevsky (Eisenstein)
Angels with Dirty Faces (Curtiz)*
La Bete Humaine (Renoir)*
Bringing Up Baby (Hawks)*
Holiday (Cukor)
Jezebel (Wyler)
The Lady Vanishes (Hitchcock)*
Port of Shadows (Carne)
You Can’t Take it With You (Capra)*

1939

Dark Victory (Goulding)
Destry Rides Again (Marshall)
Gone with the Wind (Fleming)*
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Capra)*
Ninotchka (Lubitsch)
Only Angels Have Wings (Hawks)
Stagecoach (Ford)*
The Rules of the Game (Renior)*
The Wizard of Oz (Fleming)*
Young Mr. Lincoln (Ford)

No comments:

Post a Comment