Friday, June 10, 2011

"What is food?"

Jason, I have friend who is also an enormous X-Men fan, and he had a similar reaction to the new film. He enjoyed it, liked the interpretation, and thought it remained true to the spirit of the characters. I’m interested in seeing it; the trailers make it look like harmless fun and kind of badass. To me, it looks like the best superhero flick coming out this summer. Didn’t see Thor (though I know you enjoyed it), Green Lantern looks way too CG, and I don’t know how I feel about Captain America. If someone recommends it, perhaps I’ll try to see it, but I have no intense desire for it on my own.

If anyone sees Super 8 soon let me know what you think. My brothers are interested in seeing it, but before I spend the little money I have on it, I’d like to know if it’s worth it.

I think the only other blockbuster I’m interested in seeing this summer is Cowboys & Aliens. And I definitely want to see Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark at the end of August. Still waiting on Tree of Life...

Also, Jason, glad to have you on board for this 30s adventure. I guess the idea is that I pick a movie on either Saturday or Sunday and we are all supposed to watch that movie within a week of the next pick. You can watch The Blue Angel at your leisure–no rush. I’ll most likely provide the next pick tomorrow, but you can post on The Blue Angel whenever you’d like, and it will definitely be welcome and appreciated.

----

I watched My Man Godfrey (1936) on NWI the other day. I absolutely loved it. It comes with the highest recommendation. If anyone else wants to watch it, I’ll totally be down to discuss it further. John, you’ve seen it–what a great movie! I love William Powell. He’s effortlessly entertaining and humorous, such a charismatic guy. He’s fantastic as Godfrey. I also love Carole Lombard. She’s fantastic as Irene. I loved the scenes when she is performing her depression for everyone after she thinks Godfrey is married. I had a huge grin on my face watching them. I also loved the character Carlo. He’s absolutely absurd and the way the family treats him is hysterical.

This is a great screwball comedy because it’s hilarious throughout and also a pretty scathing satire of the rich. It works on so many levels that it’s kind of a miracle. 1936 is already going to be impossible to rank. With this, Modern Times, Dodsworth, and After the Thin Man all in the mix...damn, what a great year!

I can’t wait to watch Godfrey again. It put me in such a great mood after watching it. It’s seriously a lot of fun.

I also watched Lubitsch’s Trouble in Paradise (1932). It’s cool to see this pre-code film that was later banned under the code until the 60s because it’s incredibly tame by today’s standards but obviously racy for the time. There’s quite a bit of innuendo and an ending that the code just wouldn’t allow. This one is worth discussing further if anyone has seen it (Brandon, if you can read this, you probably have).

I’m pretty sure I can’t make King Kong tomorrow because I’m vehicle-less...bummer.

Also, I plan on putting up my 2004 list soon, but I’ve been waiting for Brandon to get back from tour and for his computer to be fixed. Miss you dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment