Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So much to say

Brandon, great to have you back dude! I’ve missed you. I figured you’ve seen most of the films from the 30s that I’ll be watching. Fuck you for having your ’33 list almost done. I’m way behind, but slowly getting there. ’36 and ’39 are probably the first ones I’ll have done. Can’t wait to see your lists. Also, can’t wait to hang out again!

Awesome news about Summer People. Good luck with those songs, dude! I can’t wait to hear ‘em. I played soccer with Alex the other night and he kicked my ass as always. I hope everyone else in the band is doing well! Glad to hear the tour was such a blast.

I’m stoked that Stalag 17 is your favorite Wilder film too. We are certainly in the minority, but that’s awesome. I agree completely that Ace in the Hole is far superior to Network. It hits at the heart of what Network is trying to do with more economy and precision. It’s razor-sharp and scathing, but first it builds character. I agree totally.

There is something that rings hollow about Trouble in Paradise. There are certain things that I really enjoyed about it, but it might be missing the Lubitsch touch, as you suggest. I’m going to watch Heaven Can Wait this week, and I can’t wait to see it.

I’m with you on Powell. After the Thin Man will be high on my list too.

Ben, congrats on finishing your work. No worries too dude. You can watch/skip any of the films from the 30s that you’d like. That goes for everyone else to. Watch any of the films if you have the time and desire to do so, and if not, totally cool. There’s already too many movies to watch as it is; I don’t want to put any undue pressure on anyone to watch even more.

I don’t know how I missed this from before, but Bill Hicks is awesome. I really want to see that documentary on him; I’m jealous. Glad you liked and and are a fan of him as well. He was a monumental dude, and each year that passes it seems like we need him now more than ever.

Also jealous that you’ve seen Midnight in Paris. Can’t wait for it. Glad you dug it. I will try to see it this weekend. If I do decide to go, I’ll post the date and time I’m going and if anyone wants to meet me there, that’d be awesome! Lisa, if you’re still down for it, it’d be great to meet you.

Also, Lisa, great to read your thoughts on The Blue Angel. I think you’re right about shifting the focus to Rath; he certainly does idolize Lola. She’s like an opening into a whole new world for him, and he obviously wants her all to himself, singing and dancing just for him. I probably put too much culpability on Lola, when, as you mentioned, she remains true to her character throughout the film. She is who she is, and if Rath sees something different then he’s just deluding himself (ain’t that 90% of relationships?). I think those legs would delude any man into thinking she only had eyes for him.

Glad you watched and dug Blue Valentine. It’s great for all the reasons you gave. Brandon is right, it is Cassavetes realism in the best sense.

I haven’t seen Following in a long time, but I really liked reading your thoughts on it. Can’t wait to read your Linklater post. I’ve got a lot written already on Before Sunset for my 2004 list, but I’m waiting to finish up writing about the rest of the films before I post it.

Jason, you really liked Super 8, which makes me want to see it. Brandon, you didn’t really like it, which makes me not want to see it. I’ll probably end up waiting for this one on dvd (like most of the 2011 movies–I’m gonna be way behind). I still want to see X-men though.

John, I hear you about blog apathy. I go through it too often. I love reading what everyone else has to say, but mostly don’t care about what I have to say.

I’d love to check out the 30s movies that are playing at BCF, especially since they are unavailable. I’ll try my best to make it to those.

You recommended Rohmer to me. I need to see some of his films. How have I not seen even one of the them? For shame.

I watched The Lower Depths yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Brandon, glad you’ve seen it and are a fan too. It’s got our man Louis Jouvet in it! He’s so incredibly likable in this. I love the opening POV shot of him–it’s a very interesting way to open the film. The relationship between his character and Jean Gabin’s (a class-act as always) is my favorite part about the film. There’s a lot to say about the film’s treatment of class issues and social (im)mobility, but for me the friendship between these two really propels the film. From their first surprisingly benevolent encounter to their bittersweet farewell, I was enjoying all of their scenes together. Renoir can add incredible warmth to a film as well as anyone. I seriously love him as an auteur. When all is said and done, he might be my favorite director from the 30s.

I could add a ton more about this film, but I’ll wait to hear what you have to say John and anyone else who sees it and wants to write about it.

I haven’t seen the Kurosawa version, but have always wanted to and would certainly love to now. I’d also like to read Gorky’s play.

I like this from Criterion, especially Renoir’s comment on Kurosawa’s film: Jean Renoir's The Lower Depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment