Friday, June 3, 2011

1930s: Let's do this shit!

Awesome! I'm surprised and happy that so many are interested in the 1930s thing. John, thanks for stirring up interest and for being interested yourself. I'm excited about the 30s too. It should be a fun project. I'm down for picking a film for everyone else to try to see as well each week. I'll probably end up seeing three or four films a week from the 30s, but I don't expect everyone else to keep at this pace. I'll just pick one that we can all focus on. With that in mind, I have decided that my first pick will be...

Von Sternberg's The Blue Angel (1930).

It seems like a great inaugural film. First year of the decade, first sound film for von Sternberg (one of the first popular sound films in German too), and world cinema's first real introduction to Marlene Dietrich. von Sternberg and Dietrich are figures that will dominate the 30s. Let's get acquainted with them.

I'll definitely be watching My Man Godfrey at some point in the next week and possibly Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise on youtube and Jean Vigo's Zero de Conduite (1933) through google videos (a film I forgot to add to my 10 because I thought it was unavailable). If anyone else wants to watch those please feel free to.

If anyone hasn't seen the Marx Bros' Duck Soup, I would absolutely recommend it. It's on NWI and it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Also, through that open movies link Ben posted you can access Chaplin's City Lights. If anyone hasn't seen that, see it! It's one of the greatest films ever made.

Also, if anyone has cable, there are plenty of 1930s films being shown on TCM this month and the next. Here's some notable ones (sorry I didn't mark down the times):

June 4th: Dodsworth (1936)
June 4th: King Kong (1933)
June 5th: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
June 5th: All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
June 11th: Horse Feathers (1932)
June 13th: David Copperfield (1935)
June 13th: Captains Courageous (1937)
June 18th: Bringing Up Baby (1938)
June 18th: Twentieth Century (1934)
June 18th: The Awful Truth (1937)
June 20th: Grand Hotel (1932)
June 22nd: The Prisoner of Zenda (1937)
June 23rd: Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)
July 8th: The Petrified Forest (1936)
July 25th: Fury (1936)
Aug 3rd: Jezebel (1938)
Aug 6th: Stage Door (1937)

No comments:

Post a Comment