Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Drinkin' the blood of lamb from Bandy's tract

Joel McCrea is dope in Sullivan’s Travels. I don’t know him very well otherwise, but can illegitimately agree that he deserves more recognition. You guys would know better than I would and I trust your judgment. I seriously envy your projects to excavate films from the 30s, 40s, 50s and so on. If I’m ever done with school, I should try to do something similar. If you couldn’t already tell, my classics knowledge is pretty much limited to popular or acclaimed titles. I’ve got to branch out and see more movies. I know I’m missing out.

Joseph Cotten DOES hold the fort down in the Magnificent Ambersons. Damn straight Brandon. Glad to hear that touring is going all right. I just saw a facebook status from you that said you were sick. I hope you feel better! Love you man.

Also, I’ve really got to watch Deadwood. It’s on my list of shows to watch. I’m currently involved in Breaking Bad season 3 and somewhere in Six Feet Under. Eventually I’ll get to Deadwood though. I’ve heard nothing but great things, especially about Timothy Olyphant, as you suggest.

I don’t know who else I would consider underrated as an actor. I’ll have to think about this more.

Ben - I’m excited to hear your thoughts on Never Let Me Go. I’m also surprised it has received such little attention.



This may be the dumbest thing ever....you can call me out on it too if you’d like...but I’d like to live up to my blog’s title and embrace my stupidity.

All right, I’ve been trying to ready my top 10 films of the 2000s to post, so I’ve been thinking about my favorite movies of the last decade. Of course, what I think is my favorite and what I think is the best movie of the last decade is There Will Be Blood. I’ve also been thinking about classics that I should add to my favorites list, so I thought of The Night of the Hunter. Anyway, combine these two threads of thought and we have a synthesis: I’ve been thinking about There Will Be Blood in relation to The Night of the Hunter.

Both films deal with the issue of religious hypocrisy or the false prophet. Compare Eli Sunday to Harry Powell. Obviously, Eli is not a serial killer, but he is a false prophet, a wolf in sheep's clothing just like Harry Powell. In TNOTH, Harry Powell is undone by the powerful force that is Rachel Cooper. She’s basically a benevolent force–a shepherd defending her flock from the sheep-clothed Powell. She sees what he really is though–a wolf–and holds her ground against him. In TWBB, Eli Sunday is also undone by a powerful force–Daniel Plainview. He, a wolf himself, sees through Eli’s sheep veneer to discover another wolf. And he makes it his life’s work to destroy him.

We see what happens to Eli Sunday when he meets the wolf that is Daniel Plainview. So, what do you think would happen if Daniel Plainview met Harry Powell? Certainly he’d see a fellow wolf, but would he try to destroy him? I don’t know. All I know is we have got a great movie on our hands. Move over Freddy vs Jason and Alien vs Predator because there’s a new battle in town. I’m thinking There Will Be Blood 2: Lean on This, Harry! And the sequel to that can be called PVP: Fuck it Harry, Let’s Go Bowling.

I’ll contact Paul Thomas Anderson immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment