Friday, March 4, 2011

More Favorites

I wanted to add to my favorites list because looking back on it, it is woefully inadequate. I basically took an Amazon list of my favorite movies that I did a few years back and copied a few of them down. I didn’t put any doubles of directors down because I wanted a well-rounded mix. If I had allowed doubles I probably would have put every Kubrick film down, every Malick, every Kiewslowski, etc. So here’s my attempt to make my list more adequate. It still will be missing many, but I will slowly try to add to it. Again, I’m going to add the directors and years, even though I know you guys know, just to make it official and respectful.

-Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942) - Don’t know how this didn’t get added on the first one. Still one of the most romantic and magical films of all time. I remember watching this with an ex-girlfriend, who I really cared about, and it being a sublime experience. One of the great moments of my life, straight up.
-2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) - There was a time when if you asked me my favorite film of all time, I would have named this. But then my heart unthawed and Wild Strawberries became my favorite. This is still one of my absolute favorites, top 10 of all time at the very least, even though I rank Barry Lyndon just slightly above it. I don’t even need to go into its merits. Also, it goes without saying, I would put every Kubrick film on here. Treasures, all of them.
-The Three Colors Trilogy: Blue, White, Red (Kieslowski, 1993, 1994, 1994) - The Decalogue slightly edged in over this on my first list, but this is still one of my favorite collections of films of all time. Kieslowski was a genius, a master, and one of the greatest film artists of all time. I also love The Double Life of Veronique. It’s a shame that he passed away before we could get his Heaven/Hell/Purgatory trilogy (sorry Tom Tywker, your version of Heaven is just not the same).
-The Seventh Seal (Bergman, 1957 - Bergman was the greatest, nothing more needs to be said.
-The Virgin Spring (Bergman, 1960) - Same.
-Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954) - Don’t care if it’s cliche to love this. This and 8 1/2 were the first foreign classics I ever saw. They changed my life.
-8 1/2 (Fellini, 1963) - Same as above.
-The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston, 1948) - LOVE John Huston.
-The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Bunuel, 1972) - Hilarious. Huge Bunuel fan. Just watched The Exterminating Angel last summer and loved it. I’ve loved every film I’ve seen of his.
-Dont Look Back (Pennebaker, 1967) - I'm obsessed with Bob Dylan.
-Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
-Annie Hall (Allen, 1977)
-Horse Feathers (McLeod, 1932)
-Stalag 17 (Wilder, 1953) - Apparently, Bill Murray is a big fan of this, which makes me overjoyed because I love this and Bill Murray.
-Midnight Cowboy - (Schlesinger, 1969) - This one is all about Dustin Hoffman as Ratso Rizzo. One of my favorite actors along with Paul Newman.
-Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972) - One of my favorite film endings.
-The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973) - I’m entirely serious with this pick. Forget all the bullshit hype about this being the scariest thing ever or its plethora of stigmas, and just watch it for what it is. I love it. I miss 70s horror.
-My Left Foot (Sheridan, 1989)
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Gilliam/Jones, 1975)
-Do the Right Thing (Lee, 1989)
-Goodfellas (Scorsese, 1990)
-Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993) - I watch this at least twice a year.
-Europa (von Trier, 1991)
-The City of Lost Children (Jeunet/Caro, 1995)
-Trainspotting (Boyle, 1996)
-Fargo (Coens, 1996)
-Boogie Nights (Anderson, 1997)
-The Thin Red Line (Malick, 1998) - Add Badlands and The New World too.
-You Can Count on Me (Lonergan, 2000)
-Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001)
-The Fountain (Aronofsky, 2006)
-There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)
-No Country for Old Men (Coens, 2007)
-Synecdoche, New York (Kaufman, 2008)

I tried to add a few modern favorites this time. There are a lot missing. Forgive me.

Also, I'm an enormous fan of the original Star Wars trilogy and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But that almost doesn't need to be said. They're awesome, we all know.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment